On Friday, I finally got to do the "big run home" from work. 28.7 miles in a little under 5:45 - 12 min/mile pace. I am pleased with the way the run went, and how I felt at the end.
So what did I learn?
A combination of AccelGel and Hammer Gel work well for fuelling. An occasional banana will ease hunger pangs.
- My new Nike DriFit shorts are very comfortable - no chafing.
- Drymax socks are wonderful.
- The batteries in my Garmin probably won't last for the whole of the Umstead 50.
- I need to get a pair of road running shoes as well as the trail shoes.
- My general fitness is as good as it has ever been.
- I need to ease back on my pace at the beginning. 11 min/mile at the start is probably a little too fast, easing back, and doing a little more walking at the beginning will help me towards the end.
View Larger Map