I have set no goals - except to 'finish alive'. I really don't care how long it will take to do the four laps, and as long as I keep telling myself that, and forcing myself to slow down and walk often during the early portions of the race, I think I will be OK.
I will have two 'drop bags', and knowing what to put in them is a bit of a challenge to be honest, the weather is predicted to be about 71F and sunny - but it is spring in NC, so it could get into the 80's or it could freeze - rain is always a possibility. Here is what I am thinking:
- Spare drink bottles
- Plenty of HammerGels and AccelGels
- Anti Fatigue Caps
- Vaseline and BodyGlide
- Gloves if it gets cold
- Change of clothing - including an additional long sleeve shirt and a fleece if it gets cold.
- Spare MP3 player (don't think my batteries will last)
- Couple of pairs of spare running shoes (including that old worn-in, comfortable pair that I will probably need towards the end when I am mostly walking)
- Camera (or should I carry the camera)? Maybe my phone camera will do.
There is probably plenty more that I can't think of right now.