……. don’t be an asshole.
[wondering if I should post this]
Yeah, somewhat blunt, but to the point I think.
So, here is what is prompting this rant. I saw this link which was posted on Facebook a couple of days ago. Initially, I wasn’t sure what my opinion was. You see, I run a lot with my dogs, and I would hate to have some “authority” limiting my activities with Wilbur and Sarah. I get that. But…….
After reflection, I now have an opinion.
They are charging him with cruelty because I am not sure that he can be prosecuted for being a stupid asshole.
And he deserves everything he gets. And if it means jail, then, “oh well”. That’s what you get for being an asshole
He deserves the same punishment as someone who leaves their dog in a car in out of the shade on a sunny day, not understanding or knowing that the car can get over 120 degrees very quickly, and using the fact that “but it was only 75 degrees outside” as an excuse.
If you don’t want to be an asshole, here is what you do:
- You find out if the trail is dog appropriate – if it isn’t you don’t go
- Your dog will wear tags
- Your dog sets the pace.
- Always have a way out.
- If your dog starts showing signs of trouble, you turn round
- If the dog won’t move, you stay with your dog, and send your friend off to get help.
- If you feel forced to leave your dog behind (risk of loss of human life is only appropriate thing I can think of), you go back day after day to search.
- If search and rescue won’t help, you arrange your own search parties.
- Or you could just be an asshole and not do anything and leave your dog to die.
So, why am I posting this? Simply because some good may come of this whole crappy situation. This page may get 100-200 page views, and maybe, just maybe one or two of them will consider their actions before going off on some inappropriate hike or run. Maybe, just maybe someone will consider their actions, and decide not to be an asshole.